A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Saturday, January 21, 2012

I Shall Not Pass

There's a book of poetry (very old) that my parents have two copies of.  It's called "The Best Loved Poems of the American People," and I'll admit, some of the poems are corny and sappy and full to the brim with groan-inducing rhymes.  Nonetheless, I love to read it and re-read it.  I was having a terrible, long day yesterday, and towards the end of it, a co-worker showed me great kindness when she didn't have to.  It was just a small and simple act of kindness, but it made a work day of 12 hours seem less terrible.  We have so many opportunities to NOT do kind things, but we should take as many opportunities to do kind things as we can find!

I Shall Not Pass This Way Again
Through this toilsome world, alas!
Once and only once I pass;
If a kindness I may show,
If a good deed I may do
To a suffering fellow man,
Let me do it while I can.
No delay, for it is plain
I shall not pass this way again.
                   - Anonymous

1 comment: