A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Friday, February 1, 2013

Article of My Faith

A dear friend of mine, M., got married today!  I was so happy for her and delighted to attend her wedding.  It was inside a Mormon temple, and if you've never been to a ceremony, it's beautiful, simple, and (best of all?) short.  We Mormons believe that marriage in the temple is a "sealing" which lasts after death.  In other words, we get to be with our families eternally.  Generally I hold the temple sacred so I'm not going to share with you the exact wording of the sealing ceremony, but I love the promises that are extended to the happy couple, which includes the promise of a Heavenly hereafter.

Today's wedding reminded me that God has so much more in store for us than we could ever imagine.  His promised blessings and assurances are so grand that some people think they offer false hope.  But an article of MY faith is that God's promises are sure, and surpassing all human understanding.  It reminds me of a remark by one of my church teachers about Doctrine and Covenants Section 137, which is a vision Joseph Smith had of heaven.  In verse 4, it says that Joseph beheld the streets and they were paved with gold.  My teacher remarked that Joseph was so overawed by the grandeur he beheld in seeing Heaven that all he could manage to describe were the streets of gold - imagine how transcendent the rest of Heaven is!

I know not everyone believes in Heaven, but I do.  I see a little, tiny bit of it when I enter the temple.  But I believe that God has even more in store for me, for you, and for each of his children than any of us could ever realize.  And that's my faith.

Now, on to the wedding reception - you'll just have to have faith that these mint brownies turned out okay!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment