A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Matthew 5

First of all, you should really just read the entire chapter 5 of the Book of Matthew. I love its lyricism AND its message of peace and love to all mankind. Here are the verses I liked from this reading:

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell. Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift." (Matt 5:21-24)

I liked the "brother or sister" here (it only says brother in the King James Version). To me it just emphasizes our need to love EVERYONE, regardless of gender or condition. These verses also remind me that just because I didn't kill anyone, doesn't mean I am a good Christian (or a good human being, for that matter) - we are expected to live to a higher standard than merely abstaining from homicide. Christ asks each of us to "be reconciled" to each other, even with our shortcomings and imperfections. He asks us to see each other as "brother" and "sister," not strangers or enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment