A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Words of Light

Isn't funny that, when you are thinking about a topic, you start to see it everywhere?  Such is light!

I like this poem by the Persian poet Rumi (of the 13th Century!!!).  I found a couple of translations online, and since I doubt any of my readers understand Persian, I thought I'd pick my favorite English translation.

There is a candle in your heart,
ready to be kindled.
There is a void in your soul,
ready to be filled.
You feel it, don't you?
You feel the separation
from the Beloved.
Invite Him to fill you up,
embrace the fire.
Remind those who tell you otherwise that
Love
comes to you of its own accord,
and the yearning for it
cannot be learned in any school.

(From Hush Don't Say Anything to God: Passionate Poems of Rumi, translated by Sharam Shiva)

One of the things I love about poetry is that everyone can interpret it differently.  What do you get from this poem?

Here's a funky youtube video with the words of the poem and random images:

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that's a good one. I need to read more Rumi. The little bits I know, I love.

    As for this poem, it reminds me of a woman I home taught who talked about how she has always believed that God created weaknesses so that we would seek him out, that they helped define our missions in life. I like that.

    ReplyDelete