A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Let Your Light So Shine

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Sometimes I am vaguely uncomfortable with this scripture.  It seems to say that we should puff ourselves up, showing our good works before mankind.  Generally I prefer to do good things anonymously.  I think it's probably connected to my inability to take compliments or thanks well.  I want to do good works, but do not want to have my inevitable social awkwardness intercede in the giving of the gift.  It's also probably connected to this scripture:

"But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth." (Matthew 6:3)

Those two scriptures seem to contradict each other, but I think part of the answer to this apparent contradiction has to do with this scripture:

"Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world.  Behold I am the light which ye should hold up - that which ye have seen me do..." (3 Nephi 18:24)

When we are letting "our" light shine, it's not really our light - it is the light of Christ.  We are not glorifying ourselves, and saying to the world "Hey, I'm awesome, worship me."  Instead, we should be saying, with our works, "Christ's grace, love, and mercy are awesome!  Worship Him, our Savior."  Every person lets this light shine in a little different wavelength or shade.  We each have unique "lights" to shine, we each have that divine spark within us.

I think that is connected to why church leaders have asked us to create profiles on mormon.org - to show the light of Christ in its multitudinous forms.  Sometimes that ad campaign seems to be proclaiming "Mormons are awesome, therefore you should be awesome too and join the church."  However, I think it is actually trying to portray the diversity of Mormonism.  While it's not the most diverse religion, there are many different people from many different countries who worship our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and come to know him better through the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  If we all add our voices to the internet conversation about the church, the quality of that conversation can only improve.

So, here's my profile on mormon.org.  I believe in Christ, and I'm grateful for the light and knowledge that comes to me as I continue my membership in this church.

No comments:

Post a Comment